Five Star Challenge
About the Five-Star Challenge
The Five Star Challenge program is a contest designed to challenge students to apply their skills and expertise to tackle the problems that are important to them. It provides an opportunity not simply to practice and display prowess in the arts, the maths, and the sciences, but to also practice the soft skills necessary to inform others of the key problems they see today and how their solution addresses them.
A Five Star Challenge is not only a challenge of technical skill, but one that challenges your ability to analyze and assess a larger problem, to create an innovative solution, and to inform both the public and other experts of your insight, your idea, and your work.
It is our heartfelt belief that those who can excel in all five challenges are also those best equipped to challenge the future.
Rules of the Challenge
All participants of the Five Star Challenge must follow the following rules:
- Participants must be students currently enrolled in a High School, College, or Graduate school program.
- Participants may work alone or in teams.
- Participants may request and receive guidance and advice from advisors and mentors in the program.
- Participants must present a 15-minute speech on their work, followed by 5 minutes of Q&A from the audience and judges.
- The topic of the speech may be about any problem or topic the participant wishes to address using the sciences, technology, engineering, art, and/or math (STEAM).
Participants will be divided and judged against others in equivalent education programs. There are 3 divisions: High School, College, and Graduate divisions.
All entries will be evaluated based on the following criteria.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding about the topic, the problem, and other proposed solutions.
- Present a coherent, logical, and convincing explanation of the problem and your solution.
- Propose a creative, original, and effective solution to the problem.
- Utilize presentation techniques to engage your audience with your research, problem, solution, and discussion.
- An Invitation to attend the CIE Annual Convention and Banquet*, October 2019.
- Award Certificate to be awarded at the CIE Annual Convention.
- A Cash Prize of up to $500.